Re: [CR]Reading Reynolds Tubes

Example: Framebuilding:Restoration

From: "David Goerndt" <>
To: <>
References: <>
Subject: Re: [CR]Reading Reynolds Tubes
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 19:07:52 -0500

: [CR]Reading Reynolds Tubes


On the subject of Reynolds: is it always true that one can identify the tubing used on a Reynolds bike by removing the paint?

In '78 when I repainted my 1971 Zeus Competition (built with 3 main tubes 531), I noted that once the frame had been stripped I could just make out a faintly engraved 'REYNOLDS 531 DB' marking on the underside of the downtube near where the shifters would be mounted.

Presumably Reynolds tubes are always marked this way? Do other types of tubing (at least the fancy ones) do this also?

I found a similar marking on my '67 PX 10, with the addition of the numbers 19/22. These were near the head lug on the top tube.

David Goerndt