[CR]Re: Classicrendezvous digest, Vol 1 #1211 - 16 msgs

From: "Jim McCoin" <j.mccoin@attbi.com>
To: <classicrendezvous@bikelist.org>
References: <CATFOOD5B76WE7P5IEE00004e7f@catfood.nt.phred.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 06:49:26 -0800
Subject: [CR]Re: Classicrendezvous digest, Vol 1 #1211 - 16 msgs

Greetings , I would like to thank the half dozen or so list members who helped me with my rim glue question , sometimes Im still living in the 60's and expect things to work the way they did then ,when the glue dries out then you just scrape it off . Iv just got back to riding tubulars .
Thanks again
Jim McCoin
Fremont Ca.

----- Original Message -----
From:
To:
Sent: Sunday, March 31, 2002 12:07 PM
Subject: Classicrendezvous digest, Vol 1 #1211 - 16 msgs

> Send Classicrendezvous mailing list submissions to
> classicrendezvous@bikelist.org
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> http://www.bikelist.org/mailman/listinfo/classicrendezvous
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> classicrendezvous-request@bikelist.org
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> classicrendezvous-admin@bikelist.org
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Classicrendezvous digest..."
> CR
> Today's Topics:
> 1. A British made Colnago?? (ttruong)
> 2. Re: was Introduction Faux Pas, now Bianchi road fixer (Wolfman231@aol.com)
> 3. Re: restoring Raleigh Lenton Sport (Charles Beyer)
> 4. Re: Campagnolo Ramblings (swampmtn)
> 5. wing nuts and torque (Edward B. Feinberg, MD, MPH)
> 6. Re: wing nuts and torque (RaleighPro531@aol.com)
> 7. Re: A British made Colnago? <<No, Lower-end 70s French Contraption (Bikerdaver@aol.com)
> 8. Re: Originality (Bikerdaver@aol.com)
> 9. Re: wing nuts and torque (Chuck Schmidt)
> 10. Re: Import Tariff (Jerry & Liz Moos)
> 11. Re: RE: Innovative of Goofy link (Richard M Sachs)
> 12. Re: A British made Colnago?? (NortonMarg@aol.com)
> 13. Re: Campagnolo Ramblings (Fred Rafael Rednor)
> 14. Re: Campagnolo Ramblings (Takao Noda)
> 15. TA bb cup question... (joel metz, ifbma/sfbma)
> 16. white latex (Jim McCoin)
> --__--__--
> Message: 1
> From: "ttruong" <ttruong0@attbi.com>
> To: <Classicrendezvous@bikelist.org>
> Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 12:16:56 -0800
> Subject: [CR]A British made Colnago??
> I might be wrong but having looked at enough colnagos to know that this =
> ain't it. But it is interesting that it seems to have a lot of British =
> attributes.=20
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3D1815438813#DESC
> Tom
> Dublin,Ca
> --__--__--
> Message: 2
> From: Wolfman231@aol.com
> Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 16:06:23 EST
> Subject: Re: [CR] was Introduction Faux Pas, now Bianchi road fixer
> To: classicrendezvous@bikelist.org
> In a message dated 3/30/02 2:12:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> ojv@earthlink.net writes:
> <<
> I prefer road geometry for a road fixer, I like the smoother ride of the
> longer chainstays and the more relaxed geometry. 17-inch chainstays,
> 72-degree HTA, 50mm of offset, and 60mm of BB drop is where it's at for me
> on a road fixer. There are no flat rides here so if I'm going to suffer, I
> might as well be comfortable.
> >>
> I agree with Don, but probably because I don't have a track background; my
> racing days were spent back in Connecticut, and, if memory serves, the
> districts were held at Trexlertown. I envy and admire you guys (and gals)
> with track racing experience and the requisite bike handling skills. I just
> want to say to anyone on the list who hasn't ridden a fixed-gear, just do it.
> Don't worry about the nutted versus QR hub debate or the track versus road
> frame debate. My fixed gear bike is a Dawes 531db sport-touring model, 1980
> vintage, with eyelets for my fenders, 26c tires, and still enough front wheel
> clearance to wear booties on my big feet. Riding it is the ultimate Classic
> Rendezvous! I did 40 miles on it yesterday in typical Midwest winds and it
> kicked my butt.
> As an aside, congrats to Richard Sachs on his recognition in Bicycling...a
> full page shot of his gorgeous work. I raced against Richard back in the
> 80s...actually I think I may have ridden over him (or one of his team)
> following a crash (I think it was at one of the Walnut Hill races in New
> Britain)? If it was you, sorry Richard...George Orr said it was probably not
> a good idea to apologize at the time. <wink> Anyway, the fact that the man
> still holds a cat 2 license and still demonstrates such a passion for his
> work makes him a true Artisan in my book.
> -Ed Kasper
> "lucky to hang tough in Citizens' Races"
> Detroit MI
> --__--__--
> Message: 3
> From: "Charles Beyer" <biniou@peoplepc.com>
> To: <WTrikerider@cs.com>, <classicrendezvous@bikelist.org>
> Subject: Re: [CR]restoring Raleigh Lenton Sport
> Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 16:56:43 -0500
> Paul:
> The Lenton Sport was more likely than not fitted with a number of
> Raleigh-made components, including headset (clip-type), front hub, and stem
> (which would not have an expander bolt). Raleigh chromed-steel brake
> calipers would probably have been original, but an upgrade to GBs wouldn't
> be out of character. My 1947 Lenton Sport has all Raleigh parts, including
> quill pedals with the heron, and "R" wingnuts. Probably S-A AM hub. Oh,
> and it must have Bluemels mudguards!
> Chris Beyer
> Bloomfield, NJ USA
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: <WTrikerider@cs.com>
> To: <classicrendezvous@bikelist.org>
> Sent: Saturday, March 30, 2002 12:08 AM
> Subject: [CR]restoring Raleigh Lenton Sport
> > Now that I have railed on about using old, original parts, I have
> > another question. I have a '51 Raleigh Lenton Sport frameset with a
> cottered
> > steel crankset to build up. I will use a SA hub on the rear. What are
> some
> > suggestions for good brakes, handlebars, stem, front hub, etc. that would
> at
> > least be in character for a bike of this period? This bike will be ridden
> > some so practicality is an issue too.
> >
> > Paul Patzkowsky Longmont, Colorado
> >
> >

> Reply-To: fred_rednor@yahoo.com
> Subject: Re: [CR]Campagnolo Ramblings
> To: swampmtn <swampmtn@siscom.net>, nickzz@mindspring.com,
> classicrendezvous@bikelist.org
> > ...but I believe "record" is one of those words
> > recognized as "commonly used foreign word " in
> > Italy.
> Plus, there seems to be areal affinity for the limited
> use of a few English words in the Italian cycling (and
> motoring) world. I once cycled through Italy at the
> same time the Giro was being raced - this was about
> 20 years ago - and was often on the same roads as the
> race but a day before or after the various stages.
> I was struck that the fans used the word "win" quite
> a bit when painting their favorites' names on the road;
> e.g. "Win Sarroni" or "Win Moser".
> Also, near the end of the trip, we went on a large
> group ride in Pisa, organized by the Touring Club
> Italiano. I was even more surprised by that one, as
> the club is a large nation-wide organization.
> CiaĆ³,
> Fred Rednor - Arlington, Virginia
> --__--__--
> Message: 14
> From: "Takao Noda" <tanoda@d1.dion.ne.jp>
> To: "Classic Bike List" <classicrendezvous@bikelist.org>
> Subject: Re: [CR]Campagnolo Ramblings
> Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 23:52:34 +0900
> When we went a ride to see the Milano -Sanremo 1983,
> we visited a small workshop along a canal south of Milan to borrow some
> tools.
> It was very old and shabby, so I was interested in its bicycles.
> But I found its brand name was ' International' ( not even '
> Internazionale' ) .
> Could you accept such a logo on downtube of Italian bike? I could not .
> Have any of you seen this 'International ' bicycle?
> Takao Noda
> Hachioji Tokyo Japan
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Fred Rafael Rednor" <fred_rednor@yahoo.com>
> To: "swampmtn" <swampmtn@siscom.net>; <nickzz@mindspring.com>;
> <classicrendezvous@bikelist.org>
> Sent: Sunday, March 31, 2002 10:36 PM
> Subject: Re: [CR]Campagnolo Ramblings
> > > ...but I believe "record" is one of those words
> > > recognized as "commonly used foreign word " in
> > > Italy.
> > Plus, there seems to be areal affinity for the limited
> > use of a few English words in the Italian cycling (and
> > motoring) world. I once cycled through Italy at the
> > same time the Giro was being raced - this was about
> > 20 years ago - and was often on the same roads as the
> > race but a day before or after the various stages.
> > I was struck that the fans used the word "win" quite
> > a bit when painting their favorites' names on the road;
> > e.g. "Win Sarroni" or "Win Moser".
> > Also, near the end of the trip, we went on a large
> > group ride in Pisa, organized by the Touring Club
> > Italiano. I was even more surprised by that one, as
> > the club is a large nation-wide organization.
> > CiaĆ³,
> > Fred Rednor - Arlington, Virginia
> --__--__--
> Message: 15
> Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 09:48:23 -0800
> To: classicrendezvous@bikelist.org
> From: "joel metz, ifbma/sfbma" <magpie@messengers.org>
> Subject: [CR]TA bb cup question...
> ok, i thought i had this nailed down, but now im a little stumped and
> doubtful...
> TA bb cups typically come in 3 forms - a single ring, double ring, or no ring
> engraved around the spindle hole. i had previously thought that this indicated
> whether the cup was french, british or italian threads, but...
> 1. i know single ring engraving denotes british threading, as ive seen cup
> pairs with such engraving packaged as "ref:709w" - and a "w" in a TA ref:
> number indicates british threading.
> 2. i can thread the same lockring onto adjustable cups i have - one is
> single ring, one double.
> 3. my guerciotti has cups with no engraving. (yes, i know, italian bike with
> french components, im very naughty... but never mind that :) )
> so, here i am, stumped - and while all the TA stuff i have indicates that
> TA bb cups were available in french, british, italian and swiss (argh!)
> threading, none of it says which is which...
> anyone capable of clearing this up?
> thanks!
> -joel
> --
> joel metz : magpie@messengers.org : http://www.blackbirdsf.org
> bike messengers worldwide : ifbma : http://www.messengers.org
> po box 191443 san francisco ca 94119-1443 usa
> ==
> i know what innocence looks like - and it wasn't there,
> after she got that bicycle...
> --__--__--
> Message: 16
> From: "Jim McCoin" <j.mccoin@attbi.com>
> To: <classicrendezvous@bikelist.org>
> Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 10:45:02 -0800
> Subject: [CR]white latex
> Greetings Listmembers , do any of you have any experience with what =
> appears to be white latex used as a rim glue , specifically what do you =
> use to remove it , its very tough and scraping it does not move it .
> Next Sunday is the Silicon Valley Ride , how would you feel if we made =
> it as much of a Bianchi ride as possible , needless to say all are =
> welcome .