[CR]Re: Classicrendezvous Digest, Vol 7, Issue 79


Example: Framebuilders

Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 12:31:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Dave Abraham" <dave@hokiespokes.com>
To: <classicrendezvous@bikelist.org>
In-Reply-To: <CATFOODCeCmTPqqCmHV00001e0e@catfood.nt.phred.org>
References:
Subject: [CR]Re: Classicrendezvous Digest, Vol 7, Issue 79

RE> Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 08:28:35 -0400 From: stephen fredette <sfredette@earthlink.net> To: classicrendezvous@bikelist.org Subject: [CR]looking for cable hanger Message-ID: <l03130300bb4c17fba9fa@[216.224.177.168]> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" MIME-Version: 1.0 Precedence: list Message: 13

i am looking for one of those dia-compe straddle cable hangers with the quick release. thank you. Stephen Fredette Hull, Massachusetts

front or rear?


> Send Classicrendezvous mailing list submissions to
> classicrendezvous@bikelist.org
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> http://www.bikelist.org/mailman/listinfo/classicrendezvous
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> classicrendezvous-request@bikelist.org
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> classicrendezvous-owner@bikelist.org
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than
> "Re: Contents of Classicrendezvous digest..."
>
>
> CR
>
> Today's Topics:
>
> 1. Re: Schwinn probably 1950's with Large Gear - was eBay Outing. Is
> this po...
> 2. OT was Re: [CR] Fred Rodriquez (tarik saleh)
> 3. Looking for Noel G. Henderson (bikenut)
> 4. Re: Colnago Seat Post Question
> 5. Re: OT was Re: [CR] Fred Rodriquez (Todd Kuzma)
> 6. Re: Schwinn probably 1950's with Large Gear - was eBay Outing. Is
> this po... (David Feldman)
> 7. Bianchi integrated headset variations (long)
> 8. Updating to super record (Donald Gillies)
> 9. Ideale aluminium railed saddles (=?iso-8859-1?q?David=20Benson?=)
> 10. FS. Campagnolo tools. & a trike convertion kit.
> 11. Campagnolo Spares
> 12. I know it went well. how do I know this......?
> 13. looking for cable hanger (stephen fredette)
> 14. Tour post-mortem (Dennis Young)
> 15. Re: Tour post-mortem (Peter Jon White)
> 16. Listed on Ebay
> 17. Campy P-R 5-speed question (Aldo Ross)
> 18.
> =?iso-8859-1?q?1960_TdF_team_car_of_Roger_Riviere_and_Rapha=EBl_Geminiani?=
> (Angel M Garcia)
> 19. Bike Disassembly Night report (Aldo Ross)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 22:51:45 EDT
> From: ABikie@aol.com
> To: joebz@optonline.net, Raoul.L.Delmare@worldnet.att.net,
> smithy@cyclesmithy.com, classicrendezvous@bikelist.org,
> BruceCumberland@comcast.net
> Subject: Re: [CR]Schwinn probably 1950's with Large Gear - was eBay
> Outing. Is
> this po...
> Message-ID: <14c.2235261b.2c573b41@aol.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
> Precedence: list
> Message: 1
>
> In a message dated 7/28/2003 10:32:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> joebz@optonline.net writes:
>
>>
>> >>>Well, I don't doubt that it's one of a kind, I'm sure a Schwinn
>> maven could glance at the decals and tell instantly the model that
>> this bike started life but it looks to me that somebody stuck a
>> stayer chain
>> wheel
>> >>>on an ordinary kid's bike. Ridden to a world's record? I rather
>> think not. Not with that kid's saddle, a conventionally raked fork
>> and handlebars which hardly permit an aerodynamic tuck. "In the
>> Schwinn family collection"???
>> >>>
>> >>>What is this thing?
>> >>>
>> >>>Martin Needleman
>> >>>Annapolis, MD
>> >>>------------------------------
>>
> Whew!
> I agree with Martin's line of reasoning. At first glance with eyes
> squinted, I got reflections of the Alf LeTourneur bike (that I couldn't
> resist trying when it came to our shop in the late 60's while 'on tour'
> with the '64 powder blue Paramount track tandem from that year's
> Olympics.)that had a massive chainwheel and reverse stayers fork.
>
> This looks like a project in which someone took a Schwinn'Racer' single
> speed coaster brake bike (might still have a coaster)
> I agree it wouldn't even be fun to ride- the parts except for the
> iron-looking Ashtabula Bow and Socket chainwheel are very Vanilla-
> probably 26x 1.375 american Lightweight tire size, Steel Endrick or
> Westrick chaped rims, and maybe 50 lb on Earth, lighter on the Moon
> where it belongs.,
>
> To me, with the chainwheel it would be worth a couple hundred dollars
> but life is getting short, space is gettign limited, and the condition
> of that piece is bad from even 10 feet.
>
>
> Hey, if anyone knows of anything interesting in the morgan Hill area Sat
> thru Monday nite, I'll be a guest of Specialized attending their dealer
> pow wow
>
>
> Happy Bidding-
> Larry Black
> Mt Airy, Md.
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 20:18:09 -0700 (PDT)
> From: tarik saleh <tsaleh@rocketmail.com>
> To: Cushdelmar@aol.com, classicrendezvous@bikelist.org
> Subject: OT was Re: [CR] Fred Rodriquez
> Message-ID: <20030729031809.79637.qmail@web41107.mail.yahoo.com>
> In-Reply-To: <55.44fcdcdb.2c56ab70@aol.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Precedence: list
> Reply-To: tsaleh@rocketmail.com
> Message: 2
>
> --- Cushdelmar@aol.com wrote:
>> Fred abandoned three or four stages from the end.
>> Never heard what
>> happened.
>
>
> F-rod was beat by a stomach virus.
> http://tinyurl.com/icmp
>
> Was lemond anquetiel coppi indurain etc. ever this
> skinny?:
> http://tinyurl.com/hlk5
> I can't believe anyone could be that skinny and still
> finish an event like the tour without modern nutrition
> and medicine propping them up, not a slam on tyler but
> an observation on the modern possibilities of power to
> weight ratio that were not possible 25 years ago. I
> think the merckx, hinault and indurain would get their
> asses handed to them by modern riders,
>
>
> especially considering how fat and old they are:
> http://tinyurl.com/icni
>
> I'll be here all week.
>
> Tarik
>
>
> =====
> Tarik Saleh
> PO box 1433, Los Alamos, NM 87544, til 1/04
> tsaleh at rocketmail dot com
> Bicycles, bicycles, bicycles:
> http://www.engr.utk.edu/~tsaleh/bike.html
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 20:39:11 -0700
> From: "bikenut" <bikenut@gte.net>
> To: "Classic Rendevous" <classicrendezvous@bikelist.org>
> Subject: [CR]Looking for Noel G. Henderson
> Message-ID: <00a401c35582$f9f50640$5d193c04@dslverizon.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain;charset="iso-8859-1"
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
> Precedence: list
> Message: 3
>
> Greetings All,
> I am looking to correspond with writer Noel G. Henderson.
> If anyone on the list especially our British listmembers has
> a mailing or e-mail address for Mr. Henderson I would greatly=20
> appreciate that information.
>
> Regards,
>
> Matthew Gorski
> Belmont Shore, CA
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 23:36:57 EDT
> From: NortonMarg@aol.com
> To: skipsinatra@hotmail.com, classicrendezvous@bikelist.org
> Subject: Re: [CR]Colnago Seat Post Question
> Message-ID: <a4.3ab2d42c.2c5745d9@aol.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
> Precedence: list
> Message: 4
>
> In a message dated 7/28/03 1:37:32 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> skipsinatra@hotmail.com writes:
>
>
>> I had expected that it would take a 27.2 post but have found that
>> 27.0
>> fits perfectly. I saw on Sheldon Brown's website that certain 70's
>> Supers Pistas were 27.0, but wasn't aware that any road Super's were
>> 27.0. Lastly does the 27.0 fact define anything else about the
>> frame. (the guy from whom I bought it said that he had been told it
>> may have been a european team given teh color and the thin stays)...
>>
>> Thanks folks...
>>
>
> Having a 27.0 seatpost likely means your bike is made from SP tubing,
> 1.0 x .7mm vs SL which is .9 x .6mm. That stiffens up a frame. You
> didn't give the stay measurements.
> Oh, you're supposed to finish a post with your name and city...
> Stevan Thomas
> Alameda, CA
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 22:57:19 -0500
> From: Todd Kuzma <tullio@theramp.net>
> To: <tsaleh@rocketmail.com>, <Cushdelmar@aol.com>,
> <classicrendezvous@bikelist.org>
> Subject: Re: OT was Re: [CR] Fred Rodriquez
> Message-ID: <BB4B5ACE.1115A%tullio@theramp.net>
> In-Reply-To: <20030729031809.79637.qmail@web41107.mail.yahoo.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
> Precedence: list
> Message: 5
>
> on 7/28/03 10:18 PM, tarik saleh at tsaleh@rocketmail.com wrote:
>
>> Was lemond anquetiel coppi indurain etc. ever this
>> skinny?:
>> http://tinyurl.com/hlk5
>> I can't believe anyone could be that skinny and still
>> finish an event like the tour without modern nutrition
>> and medicine propping them up, not a slam on tyler but
>> an observation on the modern possibilities of power to
>> weight ratio that were not possible 25 years ago. I
>> think the merckx, hinault and indurain would get their
>> asses handed to them by modern riders,
>
> Take a look at some of the old TdF pictures. Yes, they were that
> skinny. Modern nutrition has allowed racers with such low body fat to
> stay healthier. Modern training has allowed for much more efficient use
> of available training time.
>
> Todd Kuzma
> Heron Bicycles
> Tullio's Big Dog Cyclery
> LaSalle, IL
> http://www.heronbicycles.com/
> http://www.tullios.com/
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 21:02:27 -0700 (PDT)
> From: David Feldman <feldmanbike@yahoo.com>
> To: ABikie@aol.com, joebz@optonline.net,
> Raoul.L.Delmare@worldnet.att.net, smithy@cyclesmithy.com,
> classicrendezvous@bikelist.org, BruceCumberland@comcast.net
> Subject: Re: [CR]Schwinn probably 1950's with Large Gear - was eBay
> Outing. Is
> this po...
> Message-ID: <20030729040227.69514.qmail@web20422.mail.yahoo.com>
> In-Reply-To: <14c.2235261b.2c573b41@aol.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Precedence: list
> Message: 6
>
> The frame and fork look like a Schwinn World Traveler
> I used to have--never knew what year the bike was, but
> it had an alloy-shell SA hub with a 1954 date.
> David Feldman
> Vancouver, WA
> --- ABikie@aol.com wrote:
>> In a message dated 7/28/2003 10:32:52 PM Eastern
>> Daylight Time,
>> joebz@optonline.net writes:
>>
>> >
>> > >>>Well, I don't doubt that it's one of a kind,
>> I'm sure a Schwinn maven
>> > >>>could glance at the decals and tell instantly
>> the model that this bike
>> > >>>started life but it looks to me that somebody
>> stuck a stayer chain
>> > wheel
>> > >>>on an ordinary kid's bike. Ridden to a world's
>> record? I rather think
>> > >>>not. Not with that kid's saddle, a
>> conventionally raked fork and
>> > >>>handlebars which hardly permit an aerodynamic
>> tuck. "In the Schwinn
>> > >>>family collection"???
>> > >>>
>> > >>>What is this thing?
>> > >>>
>> > >>>Martin Needleman
>> > >>>Annapolis, MD
>> > >>>------------------------------
>> >
>> Whew!
>> I agree with Martin's line of reasoning. At first
>> glance with eyes squinted,
>> I got reflections of the Alf LeTourneur bike (that I
>> couldn't resist trying
>> when it came to our shop in the late 60's while 'on
>> tour' with the '64 powder
>> blue Paramount track tandem from that year's
>> Olympics.)that had a massive
>> chainwheel and reverse stayers fork.
>>
>> This looks like a project in which someone took a
>> Schwinn'Racer' single
>> speed coaster brake bike (might still have a
>> coaster)
>> I agree it wouldn't even be fun to ride- the parts
>> except for the
>> iron-looking Ashtabula Bow and Socket chainwheel are
>> very Vanilla- probably 26x 1.375
>> american Lightweight tire size, Steel Endrick or
>> Westrick chaped rims, and maybe
>> 50 lb on Earth, lighter on the Moon where it
>> belongs.,
>>
>> To me, with the chainwheel it would be worth a
>> couple hundred dollars but
>> life is getting short, space is gettign limited, and
>> the condition of that piece
>> is bad from even 10 feet.
>>
>>
>> Hey, if anyone knows of anything interesting in the
>> morgan Hill area Sat thru
>> Monday nite, I'll be a guest of Specialized
>> attending their dealer pow wow
>>
>>
>> Happy Bidding-
>> Larry Black
>> Mt Airy, Md.
>>
>>
>>


> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 00:30:42 EDT
> From: NortonMarg@aol.com
> To: classicrendezvous@bikelist.org
> Cc: rstytnsp@netvista.net
> Cc: kendenny66@yahoo.com
> Cc: rocklube@adnc.com
> Cc: j.mccoin@attbi.com
> Cc: freitas1@pacbell.net
> Cc: edlitton@earthlink.net
> Subject: [CR]Bianchi integrated headset variations (long)
> Message-ID: <35.3b6951fb.2c575272@aol.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
> Precedence: list
> Message: 7
>
> It's nice having a friend who does a lot of paint restorations, because
> I get to see a lot of bikes going through in various states of
> paintlessness. Another friend, Bob, just recently got an integrated
> headset Bianchi from ebay (that was in the shop) and was surprised when
> I said "it's a 1970" as he thought it was a 1965. The serial number was
> 170 165 with the 170 smack in the middle on the right side of the lug
> and the 165 on the left. The reasons I thought this are: the 60s bikes
> have the serial number less separated, running across the front of the
> seat lug, his bike has diamond reinforcements on the rear brake bridge
> and works with a standard reach rear brake with no drop bolt. All of
> the older Bianchis I have seen or owned (60s, not 50s), required a drop
> bolt with a standard reach brake or a really long (Universal 51 type)
> rear caliper. I had recently seen at the Cupertino Bike Shop 50th
> anniversary event (and am going to photograph this bike for Dale's
> site) a Bianchi from what is believed to be the last year of production
> of the integrated headset models. The serial number begins with 172
> xxx, corresponding to a 1972 date. Along with the diamond reinforcement
> on the brake bridge, another interesting identifying feature of these
> last bikes is the headset internals. These bikes use a headset made by
> Campagnolo that is a different dimension than the earlier headsets with
> the "V" races. The diameter of the pieces that insert into the lugs on
> the late bikes is 32.1mm, the similar pieces on the earlier bikes are
> 32.8mm. This came up because Ed Litton, the most excellent restorer in
> who's shop all this is taking place, noticed that Bob's frame had a
> Campagnolo lower stack and a "V" upper stack that had been ground down
> (very well done job) to fit the frame. I have headset parts of both
> kinds and it never occurred to me they were different, so I measured
> them.
> The current state of confusion over Bianchi serial numbers is that the
> early 60s bikes start with 160xxx (for 1960 frames) and go through
> 165xxx (for 1965 frames) or so. With any luck, if all you Bianchisti
> out there use Dale's serial number registry, this may become more
> clear. At some point serial numbers started with 200xxx and go through
> at least 201xxx, before switching to 170xxx for 70s bikes, finishing
> with 172xxx.
> I welcome any and all contributions to knowledge on this subject.
> Stevan Thomas
> Alameda, CA
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 21:48:18 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Donald Gillies <gillies@cs.ubc.ca>
> To: classicrendezvous@bikelist.org
> Subject: [CR]Updating to super record
> Message-ID: <200307290448.h6T4mIsG006584@newcastle.cs.ubc.ca>
> Precedence: list
> Message: 8
>
>
> Regular record chainrings are impossible to find. if you have the
> choice, you should probably go to super record, since the TA new
> chainrings are easy to get, beautiful, and are 144 BCD, and you can even
> get a 41T/ ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 14:53:13 +1000 (EST)
> From: =?iso-8859-1?q?David=20Benson?= <bensondoc@yahoo.com.au>
> To: CR <classicrendezvous@bikelist.org>
> Subject: [CR]Ideale aluminium railed saddles
> Message-ID: <20030729045313.98673.qmail@web42003.mail.yahoo.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
> Precedence: list
> Message: 9
>
> Can anyone confirm whether the number stamped on the
> inside face of the rails is the year of manufacture?
> Thanks
> David Benson
> Auckland, NZ
>
> http://mobile.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Mobile
> - Check & compose your email via SMS on your Telstra or Vodafone mobile.
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 05:58:43 EDT
> From: REClassicBikes@aol.com
> To: classicrendezvous@bikelist.org
> Subject: [CR]FS. Campagnolo tools. & a trike convertion kit.
> Message-ID: <27.4537e9de.2c579f53@aol.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
> Precedence: list
> Message: 10
>
> Not a full campy tool set, just the riders hand tools. 1 pair of
> headset/ lockring and adjusting cup spanners. The matching fixed cup
> and pedal spanner, T socket, 5mm Allen key (with the knurled barrel)
> and a pedal dust cap/brake spanner. Used but Ok condition. 6 items in
> total, add a little class to your work bench. $75 including airmail to
> you.
>
> 1960s (guessing here, it could be earlier or later) tricycle conversion
> kit. Converts your two wheeler to a three wheeler! Includes the axle
> set, stays and wheels & tyres. $240 plus shipping at cost. Used but
> condition is Ok, lots & lots of miles left in this.
>
> please contact me off list.
>
> Regards
> Martin Coopland
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 06:35:53 EDT
> From: REClassicBikes@aol.com
> To: classicrendezvous@bikelist.org
> Subject: [CR]Campagnolo Spares
> Message-ID: <154.22346c76.2c57a809@aol.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
> Precedence: list
> Message: 11
>
> Ebay item 2185785376 may be of interest to some one on this list.
>
> very close relationship to the seller.
>
> Regards
> Martin Coopland
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 06:39:49 EDT
> From: REClassicBikes@aol.com
> To: classicrendezvous@bikelist.org
> Subject: [CR]I know it went well. how do I know this......?
> Message-ID: <a5.3d620741.2c57a8f5@aol.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
> Precedence: list
> Message: 12
>
> Because you are fantastic.
>
> Look forward to hearing from you how well it went.
>
> Do you want to look at the gate house / livery yard.
>
>
>
> Regards
> Martin Coopland
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 08:28:35 -0400
> From: stephen fredette <sfredette@earthlink.net>
> To: classicrendezvous@bikelist.org
> Subject: [CR]looking for cable hanger
> Message-ID: <l03130300bb4c17fba9fa@[216.224.177.168]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Precedence: list
> Message: 13
>
> i am looking for one of those dia-compe
> straddle cable hangers with the
> quick release. thank you.
> Stephen Fredette
> Hull, Massachusetts
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 21:46:16 +0900
> From: Dennis Young <mail@woodworkingboy.com>
> To: <classicrendezvous@bikelist.org>
> Subject: [CR]Tour post-mortem
> Message-ID: <BB4C9BA8.2592%mail@woodworkingboy.com>
> In-Reply-To: <CATFOODs5WyurkpiKh000001dc2@catfood.nt.phred.org>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
> Precedence: list
> Message: 14
>
> I for one, am disappointed that the German didn't take a more aggressive
> tact during the 18th stage, and offer up a attack to put some hurt on
> Lance, instead of conserving energy for what turned out to be the
> anticlimactic final time trial. In this age of cushy support
> organization and micro strategies, is it too much to ask for a little
> reckless abandon?
>
> Dennis Young
> Hotaka, Japan, where I went out and attacked a local climb while still
> recovering from a cold. A big 5 kilometers to the top too!
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 08:50:06 -0400
> From: "Peter Jon White" <PeterJonWhite@PeterWhiteCycles.com>
> To: "Dennis Young" <mail@woodworkingboy.com>,
> <classicrendezvous@bikelist.org>
> Subject: Re: [CR]Tour post-mortem
> Message-ID: <056a01c355cf$effe7d90$6501a8c0@office>
> References: <BB4C9BA8.2592%mail@woodworkingboy.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain;charset="iso-8859-1"
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
> Precedence: list
> Message: 15
>
> On a flat stage he didn't stand a chance against the Post Office team.
> Lance's team was much stronger and Jan wouldn't have been able to get
> away. Going head to head with Lance in the time trial, where the other
> team members weren't a factor, was his best strategy.
>
> Peter Jon White
> Peter White Cycles
> 24 Hall Rd.
> Hillsborough, NH 03244
> 603 478 0900 Phone
> 603 478 0902 Phax
> http://www.PeterWhiteCycles.com
>
> http://www.mises.org
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Dennis Young" <mail@woodworkingboy.com>
> To: <classicrendezvous@bikelist.org>
> Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 8:46 AM
> Subject: [CR]Tour post-mortem
>
>
>> I for one, am disappointed that the German didn't take a more
>> aggressive tact during the 18th stage, and offer up a attack to put
>> some hurt on
> Lance,
>> instead of conserving energy for what turned out to be the
>> anticlimactic final time trial. In this age of cushy support
>> organization and micro strategies, is it too much to ask for a little
>> reckless abandon?
>>
>> Dennis Young
>> Hotaka, Japan, where I went out and attacked a local climb while still
>> recovering from a cold. A big 5 kilometers to the top too!