[CR]Fork vs. Forks, was Fixed Wheels & track bikes


Example: Racing

From: "Raoul Delmare" <Raoul.L.Delmare@worldnet.att.net>
To: "C.R. List" <classicrendezvous@bikelist.org>, "Bruce C." <BruceCumberland@comcast.net>
References: <BAY1-F1714Kj32Gcjlk0000881e@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 06:27:36 -0600
Subject: [CR]Fork vs. Forks, was Fixed Wheels & track bikes

Personally ,

When talking about a bicycle , I ALWAYS talk ( and think ) of one single bicycle having :

One ( 1 ) single front fork

and

One ( 1 ) single handlebar

. . . which brings us to . . .

Don't bicycles in general actually have "handle-tubes" , and NOT "handle-bars" ??????

After all , don't we wince when someone talks about the "top-bar" of a bicycle , instead of the "top-tube" of their bicycle ? Or are we wincing because they've just described an unfortunate encounter with said tube ?

Raoul Delmare
Marysville Kansas


----- Original Message -----
From: "sam Lingo"
To: ; ;


<REClassicBikes@aol.com>; <classicrendezvous@bikelist.org> Sent: Monday, February 23, 2004 4:49 PM Subject: RE: [CR]Fork vs. Forks, was Fixed Wheels & track bikes


>
> Then what would you call a crown designed for a single leg?
>
> Sam Lingo
>
> pleasanton tx
>
>
>
> >From: Louis Schulman
>
>
> >Reply-To: Louis Schulman
>
>
> >To: Sheldon Brown
> ,REClassicBikes@aol.com, classicrendezvous@bikelist.org
>
> >Subject: [CR]Fork vs. Forks, was Fixed Wheels & track bikes
>
> >Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:04:12 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
>
> >
>
> >My pet peeve is the use of the term "forks" on the east side of the Atlantic to refer to the front fork. Evidently, our Anglo-Saxon cousins view each leg of the front fork as a "mini-fork". Presumably, the tines of the fork are the small points on each side of the dropout. It would seem more intuitive that the entire structure be viewed as a large fork, with two legs. After all, even across the lake, they speak of a "fork crown," not a "forks crown."
>
> >
>
> >Louis Schulman
>
> >Tampa, Florida (contemplating the assembly of my very English Holdsworth Italia Strada Specialissimo.)
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >-----Original Message-----
>
> >From: Sheldon Brown
>
>
> >Sent: Feb 23, 2004 2:30 PM
>
> >To: REClassicBikes@aol.com, classicrendezvous@bikelist.org
>
> >Subject: Re: [CR]Fixed Wheels & track bikes
>
> >
>
>
>http://unabridged.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/unabridged?va=freewheel&x=0&y =0
>
> >Main Entry: 1freewheel Pronunciation Guide
>
> >Pronunciation: |
>
> >Function: noun
>
> >1 : a power-transmission system in a motor vehicle comprising an
>
> >overrunning clutch that is interposed between the gearbox mechanism
>
> >and the final drive and that makes the connection for a positive
>
> >drive between the engine shaft and propeller shaft but permits the
>
> >propeller shaft to run freely when its speed is greater than that of
>
> >the engine shaft
>
> >2 : a clutch that is fitted in the rear hub of a bicycle and that
>
> >engages the rear sprocket with the rear wheel when the pedals are
>
> >rotated forward and permits the rear wheel to run on free from the
>
> >rear sprocket when the pedals are stopped or rotated backward --
>
> >compare COASTER BRAKE
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >Martin Coopland wrote:
>
> >
>
> > >It is one of my most irk some missed used phrases.
>
> >
>
> >One of my bit peeves is when folks from Great Britain don't realize
>
> >that there are legitimate differences in English usage on the two
>
> >sides of the Atlantic, and that these differences don't mean that
>
> >Yanks are ignorant, just that the languages have evolved differently.
>
> >
>
> >This is particularly noticeable in technical matters involving
>
> >technologies that have evolved since our nations came to the parting
>
> >of the ways in 1783. For instance, almost every part of an
>
> >automobile has a different name depending on where you are.
>
> >
>
> >When an American fits "fenders" to his bike to keep dry, he doesn't
>
> >call them "fenders" because he's so stupid that he doesn't know the
>
> >"correct" term is "mudguards." In fact, the correct term in the U.S.
>
> >_is_ fenders, and it is generally considered rather affected to call
>
> >them by the British term "mudguards," if it is even understood at all.
>
> >
>
> >_Correct_ usage of many terms does differ across the Atlantic. It's
>
> >patronizing and offensive to accuse those on the opposite shore of
>
> >being "incorrect" or "ignorant" when they use the appropriate
>
> >terms/spellings for their location.
>
> >
>
> > >I have now been told in no uncertain terms, by Sheldon, that I am wrong.
>
> >
>
> >You're not wrong to use the term "fixed wheel", but you are wrong to
>
> >criticize those who use the term "fixed gear" in its standard sense.
>
> >
>
> > >However I do not see it that way. Several things suggest otherwise to me.
>
> > >
>
> > >We (English speakers) call a freewheel a freeWHEEL, because it not a fixed
>
> > >WHEEL.
>
> > >
>
> > >If we were trying to distinguish a freewheel from something described as a
>
> > >fixed GEAR, a freewheel would be know as a Free GEAR. It is not.
>
> >
>
> >OK, I think I see the problem. If you loosen the axle nuts of a
>
> >track bicycle and remove the wheel, the thing you hold in your hand
>
> >is a "fixed wheel."
>
> >
>
> >However, if you loosen the axle nuts and remove the rear wheel of a
>
> >one-speed freewheeling bike, the thing you hold in your had is _not_
>
> >a "freewheel." It is a _wheel_ with a freehweel attached.
>
> >
>
> >A "freewheel" is not actually a wheel, it is a mechanism. Another
>
> >name for a freewheel is "ratchet."
>
> >
>
> >Note that "fixed wheel" is two words, but "freewheel" is a single
>
> >word. Here's the entry from Webster's Unabridged Dictionary:
>
> >
>
> >Main Entry: 1freewheel Pronunciation Guide
>
> >Pronunciation: |
>
> >Function: noun
>
> >1 : a power-transmission system in a motor vehicle comprising an
>
> >overrunning clutch that is interposed between the gearbox mechanism
>
> >and the final drive and that makes the connection for a positive
>
> >drive between the engine shaft and propeller shaft but permits the
>
> >propeller shaft to run freely when its speed is greater than that of
>
> >the engine shaft
>
> >2 : a clutch that is fitted in the rear hub of a bicycle and that
>
> >engages the rear sprocket with the rear wheel when the pedals are
>
> >rotated forward and permits the rear wheel to run on free from the
>
> >rear sprocket when the pedals are stopped or rotated backward --
>
> >compare COASTER BRAKE
>
> >
>
> > >So despite Sheldon's posting, containing several sophistries,
>
> >
>
> >If you're going to accuse me of sophism, you should at least have the
>
> >decency to be specific. This is out of line.
>
> >
>
> > >I believe the correct term to be Fixed wheel.
>
> >
>
> >_A_ correct term is "fixed wheel" particularly East of the Atlantic.
>
> >
>
> > >I will freely accede that the term "fixed gear" is widely missed used and
>
> > >widely misunderstood. This is as much in print as in everyday verbal use.
>
> >
>
> >Will you tell us that we're "wrong" to spell "colour" as "color", or
>
> >"aluminium" as "aluminum" next?
>
> >
>
> > >I once read a cycling manual that advised me to "sleep on my back, with the
>
> > >window open and wear goggles" if I wanted to be a racing cyclist. Print is not
>
> > >proof.
>
> >
>
> >Sophistry...?
>
> >
>
> > >The term "freewheel" is not really applicable to direct drive (ordinary)
>
> > >bicycles, because in their heyday, before the common up take of the non direct
>
> > >drive (safety) bicycling, freewheels were not generally used and there was no
>
> > >need to differentiate between fixed and free wheels.
>
> >
>
> >There is a difference between a free wheel and a freewheel. See above.
>
> >
>
> > >A Sturmey Archer ASC, is a three speed hub, providing a fixed wheel in each
>
> > >gear. It is not a fixed gear.
>
> >
>
> >Sturmey-Archer didn't agree. See: http://sheldonbrown.com/asc.html
>
> >where they refer to it as a "variable fixed gear."
>
> >
>
> >Sheldon "Yank, And Not Ashamed Of It" Brown
>
> >Newtonville, Massachusetts
>
> >+---------------------------------------------------+
>
> >| Two countries, divided by a common language. |
>
> >| -- George Bernard Shaw |
>
> >+---------------------------------------------------+
>
> >--
>
> > Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
>
> > Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
>
> > http://harriscyclery.com
>
> > Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
>
> > http://captainbike.com
>
> > Useful articles about bicycles and cycling
>
> > http://sheldonbrown.com