Re: [CR]ebay outing: mystery bianchi

To: <classicrendezvous@bikelist.org>
Subject: Re: [CR]ebay outing: mystery bianchi
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 16:32:06 -0700
Organization: Synertik
Thread-Index: AcRe6AVyJ5SVH+IlQVa6fyKD5PHdNwAEflNA
In-Reply-To: <CATFOODSvyhFUwGP1Cd00002646@catfood.nt.phred.org>

Now thatÂ’s interesting for sure. I thought it was only me that felt this was a strange listing. I would agree that it is probably a 56cm frame based on other auctions I have followed that were labelled M. However it is very strange to get such little information. After reading Kim's post I am sure several people will do as I did and asked a whole load of questions of the seller. Let's see what he/she has to say Alistair Johnston White Rock, BC

-----Original Message----- From: classicrendezvous-bounces@bikelist.org [mailto:classicrendezvous-bounces@bikelist.org] On Behalf Of classicrendezvous-request@bikelist.org Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 2:20 PM To: classicrendezvous@bikelist.org Subject: Classicrendezvous Digest, Vol 18, Issue 107

Send Classicrendezvous mailing list submissions to classicrendezvous@bikelist.org

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit http://www.bikelist.org/mailman/listinfo/classicrendezvous or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to classicrendezvous-request@bikelist.org

You can reach the person managing the list at classicrendezvous-owner@bikelist.org

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than "Re: Contents of Classicrendezvous digest..."

CR

Today's Topics:

1. Re: Hirose on Japan bay (richardsachs@juno.com) 2. Re: Hirose on Japan bay (Kurt Sperry) 3. Re: Hirose on Japan bay 4. Re: ebay outing: mystery bianchi (kim klakow) 5. Re: Hirose on Japan bay (richardsachs@juno.com) 6. Re: Hirose on Japan bay (richardsachs@juno.com) 7. Pat Rohan cycles (Ben and Tracy) 8. Re: Steven Maasland's Marinoni response 9. RE: Hirose on Japan bay (Anvil Bikeworks) 10. fork rake 11. Re: fork rake 12. Decals (Bill Rider) 13. Re: Word file 14. WAS: UPDTAE - Was: New member intro - hello! (Arie Litman) 15. Re: Re: Steven Maasland's Marinoni response (Fred Rafael Rednor) 16. Re:Hirose on Japan bay (Jeff Slotkin) 17. Re: Re: Steven Maasland's Marinoni response (jerrymoos)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 18:59:18 GMT From: "richardsachs@juno.com" <richardsachs@juno.com> To: OROBOYZ@aol.com Cc: jvs@sonic.net Cc: classicrendezvous@bikelist.org Subject: Re: [CR]Hirose on Japan bay Message-ID: <20040630.120013.5939.157312@webmail29.nyc.untd.com> Content-Type: text/plain MIME-Version: 1.0 Precedence: list Message: 1

not poo-poo.
e-RICHIE
chester, ct

-- OROBOYZ@aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 6/30/2004 2:25:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time, goodrichbikes@netzero.net writes:

<< Look at that fork rake. There must be a mile and a half of offset! The curve starts low and continues through to the drops. This is very attractive to me. >>

What about that? I really, really like the look and the idea of soaking up some bumps but all the theories would say that it would ride like poo poo. What say you, gang?

Dale Brown Greensboro, NC

To: classicrendezvous@bikelist.org Subject: Re: [CR]Re: Steven Maasland's Marinoni response Message-ID: <20040630210241.78378.qmail@web11904.mail.yahoo.com> In-Reply-To: <063020041929.23401.40E314810002F05A00005B6922007374780BCC050B019D@comcast.net> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii MIME-Version: 1.0 Precedence: list Message: 15

Rod,
     I hope you've relaxed a bit regarding Steven's reply. You might not have cared for his tone - and perhaps some of the information supplied was not really necessary - but he did make a number of points worth knowing. If nothing else, he gave a good explanation of how business was conducted during those years.
     I suppose the most important point was that Marinoni was in the same position as many frame builders in Italy. That is, he was a skilled builder who supplied a great many riders in a particular region (and a few elsewhere) but didn't achieve "legendary" status outside of his own region.
     Actually, based on posts I've read on this list, the same situation existed all over the globe.
      Best regards,
      Fred Rednor - Arlington, Virginia

--- rodk3d@comcast.net wrote:

> Maybe it's me, but responses like these make me want to puke.
> Is it really necessary to point out a misspelled name? Do we
> have a personal vendetta going on here? If so, please take it
> off list. One person is obviously enamored with Marinoni
> frames and the other seems to have a bad experience with
> them. I'm quite sure we can find similar sitautions with most
> any builder you can name.
> It seems to me lots of the esteemed Italian builders have
> went modern as has Marinoni. Give me a good USA or British
> frame ANYDAY!
> Rod (gonna go take a valium, maybe some should join me)
> Kronenberg
> Fort Collins, CO

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail ------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 17:17:01 -0400 From: Jeff Slotkin <jeffslotkin@comcast.net> To: classicrendezvous@bikelist.org Subject: Re:[CR]Hirose on Japan bay Message-ID: <5.2.1.1.2.20040630171300.00a77110@mail.comcast.net> In-Reply-To: <20040630.120013.5939.157312@webmail29.nyc.untd.com> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed MIME-Version: 1.0 Precedence: list Message: 16

Not unlike poo-poo, Which shares one trait with haiku, Either sometimes sudden. (or sodden?)

I tried to resist, and I usually do. On-topic perhaps, owing its Japanese form?

Jeff "better-known for sonnets" Slotkin Goose Creek, SC

At 06:59 PM 6/30/2004 +0000, richardsachs@juno.com wrote:
>not poo-poo.
>e-RICHIE
>chester, ct
>-- OROBOYZ@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 6/30/2004 2:25:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>goodrichbikes@netzero.net writes:
><< Look at that fork rake. There must be a mile and a half
> of offset! The curve starts low and continues through to the drops. This
> is very attractive to me. >>
>What about that? I really, really like the look and the idea of soaking up
>some bumps but all the theories would say that it would ride like poo poo.
>What say you, gang?
>Dale Brown
>Greensboro, NC

<classicrendezvous@bikelist.org> Subject: Re: [CR]Re: Steven Maasland's Marinoni response Message-ID: <00c101c45ee8$a1a0cc70$efddfea9@mooshome> References: <20040630210241.78378.qmail@web11904.mail.yahoo.com> Content-Type: text/plain;charset="iso-8859-1" MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Precedence: list Message: 17

I tend to agree with Rod about one thing. I think the difference between the "top" Italian marques and the "lesser" ones is more perception than reality. Colnago's prominence, for instance is, in my opinion, more due to Ernesto's marketing skills than the quality of his products. He has made some very good bikes no doubt, but so have a lot of guys unknown outside Italy. Of course this is all just opinion, be it Rod's opinion, Steve's opinion, or my opinion. Some argue passionately that Cinelli, or DeRosa or Colnago or Masi "ride like nothing else". Personally I don't see it. My own personal, totally subjective opinion is that nothing rides a well as a 70's French frame made of metric-gauge 531 tubing. But that's just me.

Regards,

Jerry Moos
Houston, TX

----- Original Message -----
From: "Fred Rafael Rednor"
To:
Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 4:02 PM
Subject: Re: [CR]Re: Steven Maasland's Marinoni response

> Rod,
> I hope you've relaxed a bit regarding Steven's reply. You
> might not have cared for his tone - and perhaps some of the
> information supplied was not really necessary - but he did make
> a number of points worth knowing. If nothing else, he gave a
> good explanation of how business was conducted during those
> years.
> I suppose the most important point was that Marinoni was in
> the same position as many frame builders in Italy. That is, he
> was a skilled builder who supplied a great many riders in a
> particular region (and a few elsewhere) but didn't achieve
> "legendary" status outside of his own region.
> Actually, based on posts I've read on this list, the same
> situation existed all over the globe.
> Best regards,
> Fred Rednor - Arlington, Virginia
> --- rodk3d@comcast.net wrote:
> > Maybe it's me, but responses like these make me want to puke.
> > Is it really necessary to point out a misspelled name? Do we
> > have a personal vendetta going on here? If so, please take it
> > off list. One person is obviously enamored with Marinoni
> > frames and the other seems to have a bad experience with
> > them. I'm quite sure we can find similar sitautions with most
> > any builder you can name.
> > It seems to me lots of the esteemed Italian builders have
> > went modern as has Marinoni. Give me a good USA or British
> > frame ANYDAY!
> >
> > Rod (gonna go take a valium, maybe some should join me)
> > Kronenberg