[CR] Re: Terminology

(Example: Books)

Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 11:21:00 +0000 (GMT)
From: "Michael Butler" <pariscycles@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: [CR] Re: Terminology
To: CR Rendezvous <classicrendezvous@bikelist.org>

I was very interested by the postings on names for bicycle components etc.and the differences in the names used. Most of us Brits of a certain age (50+) who would rather snobbishly refer to ourselves as real cyclists would have never have used the term mudguards only guards. The former would have been associated with roadsters or sports machines and we would only have fitted guards during the winter on our irons (racing bikes) and the real hard arsed never ever. Over here seat-pins can be called seat-posts or seat-pillars, chainwheels either rings or clangers if you are old enough. Sturmey hub gears as friction cans. Handlebar stems were always universally called extensions, similarly handlebars were drops,bars or bends. Know one ever referred to racing pedals but used the term rat-traps and these were always fitted with straps and clips yeah you guessed it not a mention of the prefix toe.

A fender is a fire-guard in the UK or the piece of rope etc. hung over the side of a boat to protect it against impact. Don't you use the term "Fender Bender" for a collision between vehicles? I wouldn't use the term bender in the UK as it has a very different meaning and connotation. Its just a matter of terminology Viv la Difference!

Thats all for now. Keep those wheels spinning, in your memories if not still on the road. Be lucky Mick Butler Huntingdon UK.