Re: [CR] Re: Terminology

(Example: Framebuilding)

From: "stevens" <>
To: Sheldon Brown <>,, Michael Butler <>, CR Rendezvous <>
Subject: Re: [CR] Re: Terminology
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 11:33:49 -0700
In-Reply-To: <p06200743bdf9efc96520@[]>
References: <> <p0620073dbdf9e015b6e8@[]> <>

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 12:52:12 -0500, Sheldon Brown wrote
> I wrote, perhaps obscurely:
> > > What gets amusing is that some of the _same_ terms are used to
> >> refer to _different_ parts of cars. Examples that come to mind are
> > > "hood" & "boot" but I believe there are others as well.
> Steven Sheffield replied:
> >
> >Bonnet == hood == front of motorcar.
> >Trunk == boot == back of motorcar.
> >
> >I've never heard of the trunk/boot being referred to as the "hood" ...
> Sorry if I wasn't clear, I didn't mean to suggest that these terms
> referred to the converse parts.
> In British usage, a "hood" is a converible top.

A "convertible" top (removable hard-top), or a "cabriolet" top (foldable soft-top)?

Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com
veloworks at worldnet dot ay tea tee dot net
bellum pax est libertas servitus est ignoratio vis est
ess ay ell tea ell ay kay ee sea aye tee why you ti ay aitch
aitch tee tea pea colon [for word] slash [four ward] slash double-you
double-yew double-ewe dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash