Re: [CR]Irish Masis

(Example: Production Builders:LeJeune)

Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 18:55:25 +0100 (MET)
From: "kim klakow" <Akimbo71@gmx.net>
To: Tom Dalton <tom_s_dalton@yahoo.com>
References: <20041207165600.1591.qmail@web50201.mail.yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [CR]Irish Masis
cc: mail@woodworkingboy.com
cc: mail@woodworkingboy.com

Good point. Kind of like Guiness; who would drink it if it were brewed in the US? The exeption, of course, is Bud(weiser), that illegitimate, ricewater spawn of unhappy exilees.

kim "budweiser is in the czech republic" klakow Berlin "helluva lot closer to good beer than Milwaukee" Germany

PS: Both Budweiser and (sadly) Bud are old enough to be on-topic.


> Dennis,
>
> You wrote:
>
> "If Carlsbad Masis had been made in Ireland and few exported to the US,
> how much more would US bidders be willing to pay?"
>
> I do get your point, which is that the sources of the desirable French and
> Italian bikes/parts are a long way from Japan, and unlike in the US, there
> is never was a lot of the stuff exported to Japan. I can't imagine what
> I'd do to get my NR/SR parts fix if I couldn't buy the "old, used junk" off
> of ex-racers at the local swap meet. Pay high prices on Ebay, I guess.
>
> However, there are some ideas I want to through out here, and since it is
> both Masi-related highly speculative I will turn off my computer and come
> back in a couple of days to see how much chatter it generates. If Masis had
> been made in Ireland, instead of Carlsbad, and if they were EXACTLY the
> same as those we see from Carlsbad, they would be less sought after. This
> would hold true even if only a small percentage of the total Irish production
> ever made it to the US. If they were made in Ireland, no matter how well,
> they would just be "fake" non-Italian examples of yet another Italian
> brand. The primary reason Masi has such brand recognition among US collectors,
> is that it blends the exotic Italian heritage with a story we can relate
> to, which is the establishment of an old-world frame shop in the new world.
> Add to this that Masi really took a traditional Italian product, and added
> that obsessive level of finish that was born on our shores... and of
> course there is the
> innovation of investment casting, which I would think most CR types would
> actually hold against the brand. If Masi had never come to the US, the
> bikes would not be any higher on the US collector radar than Colnago or
> Gios. That is, they'd be highly regarded, but not the basis of a cult. In
> fact, even though the 1970's Italian examples seem to generate less CR
> excitement than the US ones, I'd bet that they'd be less popular still if the US
> ones had never been made.
>
> Just my opinion,
>
> Tom Dalton
> Bethlehem, PA
>
>
>
> ---------------------------------
> Do you Yahoo!?
> Yahoo! Mail - Helps protect you from nasty viruses.
>
> _______________________________________________
>

-- Kim Klakow Diplom Grafik Designer Akimbo71@gmx.net +49172-1786481

NEU +++ DSL Komplett von GMX +++ http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl GMX DSL-Netzanschluss + Tarif zum superg√ľnstigen Komplett-Preis!