Re: [CR]Re: Cleaning Parts

(Example: Framebuilders:Doug Fattic)

Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 07:13:53 -0800 (PST)
From: Jerome & Elizabeth Moos <>
Subject: Re: [CR]Re: Cleaning Parts
In-Reply-To: <>

I used to use kerosene, which is at least less volatile and a little harder to ignite than gasoline. By the way, having been involved in manufacturing both, Mineral Spirits, which is sold in hardware stores as a solvent, is essentially a semi-refined gasoline. It is lower in aromatics, so perhaps a bit less carcenogenic than gasoline, but just as volatile and flammable.

I now generally use citrus degreaser. I prefer concentrated industrial grades. The kind you see in consumer spray bottles is highly diluted, with an emulsifier added to make it more soluable in water. My big reason for switching from kerosene was that I used to have a very large enclosed front porch where I worked on bikes. But my wife objected to the smell of kerosene, so I switched to citrus degreaser to keep peace in the family. She didn't mind the citrus smell.


Jerry Moos Big Spring, TX

Don Rogers <> wrote: On 2/14/06, Earle Young wrote:
> I know we are supposed to remain civil here, but I have to weigh in: USIN G

Does anyone have thoughts on kerosene instead? I've heard it's just as effective and much safer, but it was a slightly questionable source that I heard that from.

Don Rogers
Rumford, RI