RE: [CR]A single message


From: "Bruce Gordon" <bgcycles@svn.net>
To: "'Ted Williams'" <tedwilliamsdesign@sbcglobal.net>, <classicrendezvous@bikelist.org>
Subject: RE: [CR]A single message
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 13:38:15 -0700
Organization: Bruce Gordon Cycles
In-Reply-To: <20061021195627.74946.qmail@web80615.mail.yahoo.com>
Thread-Index: Acb1SwHoCMLSkJ2xRzaum1z958uLZAAAyLMg


The news of Bernie having had a stroke recently has also hit me hard, especially since he is about my age. I spoke to him briefly at Interbike and he seemed to be the "Same Old Bernie".

Ted's mentioning the number of posts about the "stripes on a Cinelli" really hit home and prompted me to write.

Last March at the NAHBS show (Hand built Bike Show) in San Jose I circulated an anonymous questionnaire to the builders there. One of the questions was:

Do you have health insurance, and if so, is it paid for by your business??

I received 18 completed questionnaires. 75% of those who answered had NO Health Insurance. Of the remaining 25% - 2/3 of those had insurance through a spouse.

There is something fundamentally wrong with a business where some of the people who are most respected, do not earn enough money to afford health insurance.

Unfortunately all the bike parts members sell on ebay to help defray his costs won't pay for 2 hours of his hospitalization, let alone support someone like Bernie who has probably lost his ability to continue his trade that he has been doing for at least 25 years.

Now back to seat tube stickers.

Regards,
Bruce Gordon