[CR]Bikes as baggage


Example: Framebuilding

In-Reply-To: <MONKEYFOOD4WwoCiMWF00001a9b@monkeyfood.nt.phred.org>
References:
From: Alfredo Marcantonio <alfredo.marcantonio@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 21:04:04 +0100
To: classicrendezvous@bikelist.org
Subject: [CR]Bikes as baggage

I am sure many of us are aware that you can take a bike on most scheduled aircraft as 'sports equipment'. And why not ? A Cinelli is a lot lighter than a set of golf clubs. Some of the new budget airlines charge £20 for the privilege. However a bike frame neatly packed can usually slip through as a piece of luggage. Hope helpful...

Alfredo Marcantonio Twickenham, England

On 10 Jun 2007, at 19:02, classicrendezvous-request@bikelist.org wrote:
> Send Classicrendezvous mailing list submissions to
> classicrendezvous@bikelist.org
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> http://www.bikelist.org/mailman/listinfo/classicrendezvous
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> classicrendezvous-request@bikelist.org
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> classicrendezvous-owner@bikelist.org
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Classicrendezvous digest..."
>
>
> CR
>
> Today's Topics:
>
> 1. FS: 1961 Campagnolo No Record front hub (Tom Hayes)
> 2. addendum: Fwd: FS: 1961 Campagnolo No Record front hub (Tom
> Hayes)
> 3. re: anodised airlites (Peter Brueggeman)
> 4. Preserving older clinchers (Mark Stonich)
> 5. Kool Gear-History? (Gary Watts)
> 6. Re: EXACTLY when it's OK to REPAINT a frameset ... (Kurt Sperry)
> 7. RE: Bikes/frames from England to USA. (David Toppin)
> 8. RE: Bikes/frames from England to USA. (David Toppin)
> 9. Le Cirque photos (Chris Kulczycki)
> 10. RE: Kool Gear-History? (Mark Bulgier)
> 11. forsale: ebay outing REG cage (Phil Scott)
> 12. RE: Kool Gear-History? (Steven M. Johnson)
> 13. Re: Preserving older clinchers (David Snyder)
> 14. Re: Conundrum SR Brakes ?? 1977 or 1982 ?? (Chuck Schmidt)
> 15. Cool Gear--was Kool Gear :-) (Gary Watts)
> 16. Re: Cool Gear--was Kool Gear :-) (Kurt Sperry)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 14:20:32 -0500
> From: "Tom Hayes" <hayesbikes@gmail.com>
> To: classicrendezvous@bikelist.org
> Subject: [CR]FS: 1961 Campagnolo No Record front hub
> Message-ID:
> <779093150706091220o3c9dce55y4b91e4fd7e660155@mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
> Precedence: list
> Message: 1
>
> If anyone is interested, I have a Campagnolo hi-flange No Record 36-
> hole hub
> for sale for $55.00 including the mailing within the USA. It is
> the variety
> with the oiler hole but no record marking. The locknut is marked
> 1961. It
> comes with flat-handled skewers but not the open "C" variety. The
> skewer
> handle shows some rust on the knobbie parts. The hub appears to
> have been
> laced only once. If anyone is interested, I can send a picture of it.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Tom Hayes
> Chagrin Falls, Ohio USA, but wishing I was in Greensboro
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 14:28:25 -0500
> From: "Tom Hayes" <hayesbikes@gmail.com>
> To: classicrendezvous@bikelist.org
> Subject: [CR]addendum: Fwd: FS: 1961 Campagnolo No Record front hub
> Message-ID:
> <779093150706091228v680d3fb3xbc53db938109cdcd@mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
> Precedence: list
> Message: 2
>
> That's a front hub, sorry leaving that out.
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: Tom Hayes <hayesbikes@gmail.com>
> Date: Jun 9, 2007 2:20 PM
> Subject: FS: 1961 Campagnolo No Record front hub
> To: classicrendezvous@bikelist.org
>
> If anyone is interested, I have a Campagnolo hi-flange No Record 36-
> hole hub
> for sale for $55.00 including the mailing within the USA. It is
> the variety
> with the oiler hole but no record marking. The locknut is marked
> 1961. It
> comes with flat-handled skewers but not the open "C" variety. The
> skewer
> handle shows some rust on the knobbie parts. The hub appears to
> have been
> laced only once. If anyone is interested, I can send a picture of it.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Tom Hayes
> Chagrin Falls, Ohio USA, but wishing I was in Greensboro
>
>
> --
> Tom Hayes
> Chagrin Falls, Ohio
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 13:30:27 -0700
> From: "Peter Brueggeman" <pbrueggeman@ucsd.edu>
> To: <classicrendezvous@bikelist.org>
> Subject: [CR]re: anodised airlites
> Message-ID: <005601c7aad5$04dfcbc0$6b01a8c0@PC9960>
> Content-Type: text/plain;format=flowed;charset="iso-8859-1";
> reply-type=original
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
> Precedence: list
> Message: 3
>
> Regarding John Hudson's query ".... approximately when the anodised
> versions
> were introduced?..."
>
> Holdsworth's Aids to Happy Cycling catalogue lists coloured flanges
> for
> British Hub Airlite Continentals as extra in 1957, and doesn't list
> this hub
> option in 1955 and 1952. Appearance in a catalogue isn't the same
> as an
> introduction date, of course.
>
> Peter
> ......................................
> Peter Brueggeman
> La Jolla California USA
> pbrueggeman(AT)ucsd.edu
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2007 15:38:11 -0500
> From: Mark Stonich <mark@bikesmithdesign.com>
> To: classicrendezvous@bikelist.org
> Subject: [CR]Preserving older clinchers
> Message-ID: <E1Hx7fk-0003Nl-32@elasmtp-dupuy.atl.sa.earthlink.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Precedence: list
> Message: 4
>
> Anyone have any tips for preserving older clinchers? Armorall?
>
> I've stored tires in black plastic bags with good result. But now I
> have a set of 10 year old Continentals (brown sidewalls) I love, but
> they're on a bike that doesn't get many miles. I'd hate to see them
> deteriorate before I can wear them out, and they're on the only
> bike they fit.
>
> Mark Stonich;
> BikeSmith Design & Fabrication
> 5349 Elliot Ave S. - Minneapolis. MN 55417
> Ph. (612) 824-2372 http://bikesmithdesign.com
> http://mnhpva.org
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 14:08:44 -0700
> From: "Gary Watts" <watts.gary@gmail.com>
> To: "Classic Rendezvous" <classicrendezvous@bikelist.org>
> Subject: [CR]Kool Gear-History?
> Message-ID:
> <791ce6f70706091408j3a9ecfb0oafe76b5d3048a8bf@mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
> Precedence: list
> Message: 5
>
> I'm sure many of us remember the Kool Gear items in the 1970's. I
> had a
> jersey I like (yellow with red center band) and also use their seat
> for a
> while. Novel concepts but they appear to be long gone. Searches
> on the
> search engines didn't turn up anything. Anyone know the history
> and who was
> involved, and when they dissappeared?
>
> Gary Watts
> Vancouver, WA
> USA
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 14:17:14 -0700
> From: "Kurt Sperry" <haxixe@gmail.com>
> Cc: Classicrendezvous@bikelist.org
> Subject: Re: [CR]EXACTLY when it's OK to REPAINT a frameset ...
> Message-ID:
> <75d04b480706091417r41bac721hffdad078a96051b1@mail.gmail.com>
> In-Reply-To: <466ADC60.50601@os2.dhs.org>
> References: <200706080146.l581krMF021844@cascade.cs.ubc.ca>
> <4668D282.2000203@ody.ca>
> <75d04b480706072217sf4006b0jccf4c2b723bfa060@mail.gmail.com>
> <466ADC60.50601@os2.dhs.org>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
> Precedence: list
> Reply-To: haxixe@gmail.com
> Message: 6
>
>> If you carefully trim the bottom off the transfers to remove the
>> respray
>>> part, they look OK.
>>
>> But why bother? There always seems to be an abundance of Reynolds 531
>> tubing decals available (both original and reproductions) on eBay.
>>
>> --
>> John Thompson (john@os2.dhs.org)
>
>
>
> The last time I did that, Ebay didn't exist! ;)
>
> Kurt Sperry
> Bellingham WA USA
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 17:50:45 -0400
> From: "David Toppin" <dave@pelletizer.com>
> To: "'Waldo Magnuson'" <magnuson@mac.com>
> Cc: 'Classic Rendevous' <classicrendezvous@bikelist.org>
> Subject: RE: [CR]Bikes/frames from England to USA.
> Message-ID: <75BD44663D3F487AB20E5EF1CCF8EBA8@G4P0N5SS>
> In-Reply-To: <4373CEE7-16B2-11DC-A75A-00039315EF26@mac.com>
> References: <4373CEE7-16B2-11DC-A75A-00039315EF26@mac.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain;charset="windows-1250"
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
> Precedence: list
> Reply-To: dave@pelletizer.com
> Message: 7
>
> Yes it is and is probably the best way to transport a bike . I
> have seen it
> done in the past month.
>
>
> David Toppin
> dave@pelletizer.com
> http://www.pelletizer.com <------ see our complete, searchable inventory.
>
>
> The Pelletizer Group, Inc.
> 4 LaChance Street
> Gardner, MA 01440-2476
>
> (978) 669-0060
> (978) 669-0061 fax
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: classicrendezvous-bounces@bikelist.org
> [mailto:classicrendezvous-bounces@bikelist.org] On Behalf Of Waldo
> Magnuson
> Sent: Saturday, June 09, 2007 1:53 PM
> To: classicrendezvous@bikelist.org
> Cc: Waldo Magnuson
> Subject: [CR]Bikes/frames from England to USA.
>
> I've been wondering if a friend flying from London to the U.S.
> could check a
> bicycle through as carry-on. Some of the new bike boxes are as
> small as a
> garment bag. Is such a method do-able?
> Skip Magnuson
> Spokane, WA
> USA
>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
> Precedence: list
> Message: 9
>
> If anyone is interested, I've posted some photos from this
> weekend's Le Cirque du Cyclisme. The bike show is tomorrow and I'll
> post more photos after. But for now there is a selection of neat
> details here:
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/VeloOrange/LeCirqueDuCiyclisme07
>
> Chris
> http://velo-orange.blogspot.com/
>
>
>
>
> Chris Kulczycki
> Velo Orange
> 109 Colonial Avenue
> Annapolis, MD 21401
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 18:14:58 -0700
> From: "Mark Bulgier" <Mark@bulgier.net>
> To: "Gary Watts" <watts.gary@gmail.com>,
> "Classic Rendezvous" <classicrendezvous@bikelist.org>
> Subject: RE: [CR]Kool Gear-History?
> Message-ID: <9327C3B25BD3C34A8DBC26145D88A907064591@hippy.home.here>
> In-Reply-To:
> <791ce6f70706091408j3a9ecfb0oafe76b5d3048a8bf@mail.gmail.com>
> References:
> <791ce6f70706091408j3a9ecfb0oafe76b5d3048a8bf@mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain;charset="us-ascii"
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Precedence: list
> Message: 10
>
> I'm pretty sure it was spelled "Cool Gear!", including the exclamation
> mark. They co-sponsored an amateur team with Exxon that included John
> Howard and both of the Stetinas in the late 70s.
>
> Weren't they the ones that called their seat "The Seat", their
> handlebar
> tape "The Tape" etc? They may have been the ones who inflicted the
> clear-plastic frame pump on us too unless I'm getting them confused
> with
> someone else.
>
> The saddles, with tubular-steel rails (instead of solid like everyone
> else up until the 90s), mostly broke, but I still have one. They also
> had the novel feature that the plastic body of the saddle could
> come off
> the rails very easily (when you least expected it!) but was much
> harder
> to put back on.
>
> Mark Bulgier
> Seattle WA USA
>
> Gary Watts wrote:
>>
>> I'm sure many of us remember the Kool Gear items in the 1970's.
>> I had a jersey I like (yellow with red center band) and also use
>> their seat for a while. Novel concepts but they appear to be
>> long gone. Searches on the search engines didn't turn up
>> anything. Anyone know the history and who was involved, and
>> when they dissappeared?
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 21:23:03 -0400
> From: "Phil Scott" <pdscott@woh.rr.com>
> To: <classicrendezvous@bikelist.org>
> Subject: [CR]forsale: ebay outing REG cage
> Message-ID: <000801c7aafd$e4b34470$6401a8c0@IDODESIGNS>
> Content-Type: text/plain;charset="us-ascii"
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
> Precedence: list
> Message: 11
>
> Vintage REG ITALY waterbottle cage handle mount type. 220120589672
> ebay
> pouting
>
>
>
> Phil Scott
>
> Clayton, Ohio (boring stupid Midwest)
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 01:57:03 GMT
> From: "Steven M. Johnson" <grisha2@juno.com>
> To: classicrendezvous@bikelist.org
> Subject: RE: [CR]Kool Gear-History?
> Message-ID: <20070609.205703.4721.2@webmail33.lax.untd.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Precedence: list
> Message: 12
>
> 6 views at this URL, but you must have a secret password.
> http://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/broderir/Catalogs-Posters/
>
> In 1997 at the Peanut Ride in VA, I saw a guy with wife and child
> wearing a Cool Gear wool jersey. I asked him if he was on the team,
> and
> he said he was.
>
> Steven Johnson, Shiloh, IL
>
> -- "Mark Bulgier" <Mark@bulgier.net> wrote:
> I'm pretty sure it was spelled "Cool Gear!", including the exclamation
> mark. They co-sponsored an amateur team with Exxon that included John
> Howard and both of the Stetinas in the late 70s.
>
> Weren't they the ones that called their seat "The Seat", their
> handlebar
>
> tape "The Tape" etc? They may have been the ones who inflicted the
> clear-plastic frame pump on us too unless I'm getting them confused
> with
>
> someone else.
>
>
> The saddles, with tubular-steel rails (instead of solid like everyone
> else up until the 90s), mostly broke, but I still have one. They also
> had the novel feature that the plastic body of the saddle could
> come off
>
> the rails very easily (when you least expected it!) but was much
> harder
> to put back on.
>
> Mark Bulgier
> Seattle WA USA
>
> Gary Watts wrote:
>>
>
>> I'm sure many of us remember the Kool Gear items in the 1970's.
>
>> I had a jersey I like (yellow with red center band) and also use
>
>> their seat for a while. Novel concepts but they appear to be
>
>> long gone. Searches on the search engines didn't turn up
>
>> anything. Anyone know the history and who was involved, and
>
>> when they dissappeared?