RE: [CR]When is a restoration not a restoration?

(Example: Racing:Beryl Burton)

From: "David Toppin" <dave@pelletizer.com>
To: "'Mitch Harris'" <mitch.harris@gmail.com>
References: <ce3.11d02430.33930ae3@aol.com> <8801bb250706021147u5d03634ane43fe8f8e1ad82a2@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To: <8801bb250706021147u5d03634ane43fe8f8e1ad82a2@mail.gmail.com>
Subject: RE: [CR]When is a restoration not a restoration?
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 15:57:02 -0400
Organization: The Pelletizer Group, Inc.
Thread-Index: AcelRqD0ss9JMAs5QVWk/Zb84hLE/AACXx1w
cc: 'Classic Rendevous' <classicrendezvous@bikelist.org>

I think in that case I would keep it as I originally built it when I was 16. Maybe not right, but it would make it mine.

David Toppin dave@pelletizer.com http://www.pelletizer.com <------ see our complete, searchable inventory.

The Pelletizer Group, Inc. 4 LaChance Street Gardner, MA 01440-2476

(978) 669-0060 (978) 669-0061 fax

-----Original Message----- From: classicrendezvous-bounces@bikelist.org [mailto:classicrendezvous-bounces@bikelist.org] On Behalf Of Mitch Harris Sent: Saturday, June 02, 2007 2:48 PM To: Jonathanadamgree@aol.com Cc: jerrymoos@sbcglobal.net; classicrendezvous@bikelist.org Subject: Re: [CR]When is a restoration not a restoration?

Quote: "in my opinion the strict sense of original means original. But if you compare these bikes to a stradivarius or amati violin the line begins to fade. None or very few of those instruments exist in an original state. They were/are modified by other luthiers. It does not seem to decrease value because the instruments may not still exist without help. Maybe comparing frames to old fiddles or old master pieces is incorrect, but it might be in 300-400 more years." __________________________________ I'm enjoying the comparison to violins because the greatest players in the most important concerts are likely to be using them--these older relics seem to out-perform the modern instruments. Think if Lance showed up on the start line on a rare and carefully preserved 40's Urago because he made him more able to win the tour, while the other riders looked on enviously from carbon Treks.

I'm wondering about the issue Jerry brought up because I'm about to have my 1975 Gitane refinished and I'm trying to figure out whether to restore it to original spec. when I bought it new when I was 16. I didn't like the color (what can you say to a 16 year old kid) and I had it repainted soon after I bought it, and also had them cut up the shifter clamp to make braze-on shifter pods for the Huret Jubilee shift levers. Also had him braze on top-of-bracket cable guides. I raced it that way as a teenager, and today it still has the original Huret Jubilee shift levers mounted on the custom-made braze-ons. Should I shop for a Huret shifter clamp and bb-cable guide and have the braze-ons removed, or are these modifications--made my an enthusiastic new racer kid--to be thought of as "original" in the sense of use original?

Mitch Harris Little Rock Canyon, Utah

On 6/2/07, Jonathanadamgree@aol.com <Jonathanadamgree@aol.com> wrote:
>
>
> In a message dated 6/2/2007 1:14:39 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> jerrymoos@sbcglobal.net writes:
>
> So are these originals or restorations? If the same hands finish it
> a second time, is it then again "original"?
>
>
>
> Jerry,
>
> Jonathan Greene
> Oviedo FL
>
>
>
> ************************************** See what's free at
> http://www.aol.com.
>
>
> _______________________________________________
>

_______________________________________________

No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.472 / Virus Database: 269.8.6/828 - Release Date: 6/1/2007 11:22 AM

No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.472 / Virus Database: 269.8.6/828 - Release Date: 6/1/2007 11:22 AM