[CR]Stuck adjustable cup...update

(Example: Framebuilding:Norris Lockley)

From: "Pat Moffat" <rocketman_531@msn.com>
To: "Classicrendezvous" <Classicrendezvous@bikelist.org>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 09:00:02 -0700
Seal-Send-Time: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 09:00:02 -0700
Subject: [CR]Stuck adjustable cup...update

Thanks to all who offered suggestions for the removal of the stuck (locktite) adjustable cup. I used suggestions from several listmembers.

This is what I did:

I used a graphite based lubricant (purchased at Ace Hardware) used to keep locks lubricated. I have used it for several years in lieu of penetrating oil and have been happy with the results. It has excellent capillary action. After 3 days I went looking for Kroil. Couldn't find any, so I bought a can of PB Blaster. I applied it several times and then used heat. Instead of a flame or hair dryer, I used a heat gun used for stripping paint. It puts out much more heat than a hair dryer, and the slotted nozzle is very directional, so I was able to direct the heat right on the cup without peeling the paint. When the cup was very hot, I used a center punch placed in one of the pin holes at an angle and struck the punch with a steel hammer. After about 15 heavy blows, the cup MOVED! I struck it once more, then sprayed more Blaster on the threads. It took another 20 strikes with the hammer, and the cup dropped out.

There isn't any reason to tackle the stuck fixed cup...it'll be there until the frame goes to the re-cycle bin.

The whole assembly was dry and dirty, the result of years of neglect...thanks to Locktite.

Thanks again to all who offered suggestions, both on and off list.

Pat Moffat
Tempe Arizona USA