Re: [CR] 1966 Masi "Gazelle" on Italian eBay

(Example: Framebuilders:Cecil Behringer)

In-Reply-To: <1116151819.20091008142841@rogers.com>
References: <9855088.1255018990531.JavaMail.Administrator@ATP2> <1fc53f760910081017p2eb26edej4ccad4ce9a625d7f@mail.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 20:56:41 +0200
From: "Freek Faro" <khun.freek@gmail.com>
To: Dmitry Yaitskov <dima@rogers.com>
Cc: Classic Rendezvous <classicrendezvous@bikelist.org>
Subject: Re: [CR] 1966 Masi "Gazelle" on Italian eBay


As the auction is near the end, I wonder about the question of legitimicay of this Masi frame. Shouldnt the fact that Alberto Masi is holding up the frame, smiling, count for something?

And why didnt the seller contact Rik van Looy, he is still alive and well.

*( I have tried to contact that Dutch Gazelle-Willem II team member from 67, so far no-one is picking up the phone)*

Freek 'proud owner of that other Masi masquerading as a Gazelle' Faro Rotterdam Netherlands

2009/10/8 Dmitry Yaitskov <dima@rogers.com>
> Hi,
>
> Speaking of eBay Italy - I wonder why an item that ships to Italy only
> would have a description in pidgin (or any) English rather than in
> Italian.
>
> George - from your message it kind of follows that you have bought
> from this seller in the past and was not too happy - in which case, if
> you don't mind me asking - how come the seller has 100% positive
> feedback without even a "neutral"? (Not to argue your point that
> buying a freshly painted Gazelle for 5K Euros is a bit eccentric <g> -
> but I am in no way knowledgeable about either Masis or Gazelles - for
> all I know it could be either or neither.)
>
> Puzzled in Toronto,
> Dmitry Yaitskov.
>
> Thursday, October 8, 2009, 1:17:14 PM, George Hollenberg wrote:
>
> > A gazelle is a small antelope that survives by running from danger.Those
> > with more agile fingers and pockets that they would like to keep full,
> would
> > be smart to run away from this seller's bike and from his other offerings
> as
> > well.
> > There isn't any objective evidence that this bike is what it is
> represented
> > to be. The seller's pidgin English tale about the bike's serendipitous
> > discovery doesn't have the ring of truth, and the asking price for a
> > repainted and newly created bike of this sort is simply ridiculous.
> > My experiences with this seller are such that any potential buyer of his
> > merchandise should believe only what he can prove-not what he says. You
> will
> > find he can prove nothing.
> > As for "trolling" eBay, either in Italy or anywhere else, one does so at
> > one's own peril. While you may think you've made a catch, you're the one
> > that's been caught.
> > George
> > George Hollenberg MD
> > CT, USA
>
>
>
> > On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 12:23 PM, kohl57 <kohl57@starpower.net> wrote:
>
> >> Those with quick fingers and deep pockets can still bid, others might
> still
> >> find this of interest. And another reason to always troll eBays outside
> of
> >> the USofA:
> >>
> >> http://tinyurl.com/y86al9p
> >>
> >> Peter Kohler
> >> Washington DC USA