Re: [CR] Oxalic Acid Questions

(Example: Books)

Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 08:45:27 -0800
From: "Robert Goughary" <goughary@yahoo.com>
To: CLASSIC RENDEZVOUS <classicrendezvous@bikelist.org>, Bret Van Horn <bret@workshed.com>
In-Reply-To: <7e7a21f90912071549wca23b13o5e07055368e5872c@mail.gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CR] Oxalic Acid Questions


I do mine on the stove in the kitchen - take a stainless steel bowl of water - put on low heat - add a handfull or so of barkeepers friend, stir parts occasionally as has been stated, leave them in til done - I've had rusted solid freewheels in for weeks when necessary (that come out like NOS parts), most parts take a few hours or over-night, but in really bad cases, just let them go - but you have to stir the stuff up - and the parts have to be clean of oil and grease, or it really doesn't work well....

Don't get the water too hot - you should be able to put your hand in - so you don't hurt the parts, or your hands - also, you really don't want to soak your skin with this stuff, though a little here and there isn't that bad - but with prolonged skin exposure, your hands will dry out and crack, which is no fun.

I've also tried EvapoRust - and find that Oxalic acid does a better job on parts that can be submerged and the color is better when done.

Rob Gougahry
Stamford, CT USA


--- On Mon, 12/7/09, Bret Van Horn wrote:


> From: Bret Van Horn <bret@workshed.com>

\r?\n> Subject: [CR] Oxalic Acid Questions

\r?\n> To: "CLASSIC RENDEZVOUS" <classicrendezvous@bikelist.org>

\r?\n> Date: Monday, December 7, 2009, 6:49 PM

\r?\n> Hi All-

\r?\n>

\r?\n> I've read up a bit on using oxalic acid to de-rust frames,

\r?\n> but there

\r?\n> are a couple points that remain unclear, so I apologize if

\r?\n> this has

\r?\n> been rehashed before (I did search the archives):

\r?\n>

\r?\n> 1) I've read that it's best to do this when it's warm,

\r?\n> however, being

\r?\n> in the midst of winter, is it still okay to do now? Will I

\r?\n> just need

\r?\n> to soak it longer, or is it completely ineffective in

\r?\n> colder temps?

\r?\n>

\r?\n> 2) Given the relatively low ratio of acid used, is it safe

\r?\n> to do this

\r?\n> in an enclosed garage provided it's aired out periodically?

\r?\n> Or are the

\r?\n> fumes that toxic?

\r?\n>

\r?\n> Thanks!

\r?\n>

\r?\n> Bret Van Horn

\r?\n> Washougal, WA 98671