Re: [CR] Fraud Alert-Fake "Ferretti Team Bike On eBay"

(Example: Framebuilders:Tony Beek)

In-Reply-To: <8CD8C554BDB7F07-1BB0-D716@webmail-d050.sysops.aol.com>
References: <262051.80001.qm@web84108.mail.mud.yahoo.com> <150720.68609.qm@web34207.mail.mud.yahoo.com> <AANLkTinHzeSyz9a4ad4yrffeStY-=e8-N73NmGSHJgxx@mail.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 10:40:07 -0600
From: "Mike Short" <avartist@gmail.com>
To: classicrendezvous@bikelist.org
Subject: Re: [CR] Fraud Alert-Fake "Ferretti Team Bike On eBay"


I agree with Lou, I don't know about the provenance however the frame looks to be period correct to me. The seller states that there is a 1972 build date, stamped onto the steerer - a photo would have been good. Were there Ferretti Team replicas made back in 1972? What ever the case it looks to be a very nice bike.

Mike Short, Austin Texas, USA.

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 10:20 AM, <loudeeter@aol.com> wrote:
> What part of it is fake? The frame looks to be a Masi from that era. That
> could explain the brakes, right? I understand your point about it possibly
> not being a team bike, but it is still a nice bike. I also understand your
> animosity toward all things from this seller. I don't know whether that is
> a "Boston" thing, or just that you are ticked off at him for some reason.
> Lou Deeter, Orlando FL
>
>
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: George Hollenberg <ghollmd@gmail.com>
> To: Fred Rednor <fred_rednor@yahoo.com>
> Cc: Classic Rendezvous <classicrendezvous@bikelist.org>
> Sent: Thu, Jan 27, 2011 11:16 am
> Subject: Re: [CR] Fraud Alert-Fake "Ferretti Team Bike On eBay"
>
>
> The point is not the brakes-this was a Faliero innovation in about 1968 to
> prevent to many holes being drilled into the brake bridge-but who cares--
> the brakes are attached to a FAKE-this is NOT a Masi-Ferretti. It's a fraud
> designed to fool us. I can't believe that no one is saying anything abut
> this. Who cares about the brakes!
> George
> George Hollenberg MD
>
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 9:45 AM, Fred Rednor <fred_rednor@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > The central bolt is removed from the brake, shortened and brazed into the
> > frame. Then the calipers are reassembled in the usual manner.
> > Fred Rednor - Arlington, Virginia (USA)
> >
> > --- On Thu, 1/27/11, Anthony Taylor <ajft1942@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > > From: Anthony Taylor <ajft1942@yahoo.com>
> > > Subject: Re: [CR] Fraud Alert-Fake "Ferretti Team Bike On eBay"
> > > To: "George Hollenberg" <ghollmd@gmail.com>, "Classic Rendezvous" <
> > classicrendezvous@bikelist.org>
> > > Date: Thursday, January 27, 2011, 9:21 AM
> > > It may just be ignorance on my part,
> > > but how are the brakes attached?
> > >
> > > Tony Taylor
> > > Manchester, NH
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > ________________________________
> > > From: George Hollenberg <ghollmd@gmail.com>
> > > To: Classic Rendezvous <classicrendezvous@bikelist.org>
> > > Sent: Thu, January 27, 2011 5:42:12 AM
> > > Subject: [CR] Fraud Alert-Fake "Ferretti Team Bike On
> > > eBay"
> > >
> > > A bike claimed to be a "Professional cycle of the Ferretti
> > > team of 1972 that
> > > included the Petterssen brothers and Gianni Motta", eBay
> > > #120676480890 is
> > > not as represented-it's a fake.
> > > The seller approached Alberto Masi (personal communication)
> > > and asked him to
> > > certify the bike as that of Ghosta Pettersen-but Ghosta
> > > Pettersen's bike was
> > > a 62.5 and Alberto noted that a Ferretti Masi didn't sport
> > > De Rosa decals as
> > > seen on this eBay bike.
> > > Furthermore, the seller presents no proof and no
> > > provenance that this bike
> > > was ever owned by anyone on the Ferretti Masi team
> > > and he never will
> > > produce such evidence because it doesn't exist. Many
> > > Ferretti repros exist
> > > and one is listed in the same size as the eBay seller's
> > > bike listed as a
> > > reproduction in Bob Hovey's Masi Archive.
> > > What we have is just a Masi painted and tarted up as a Masi
> > > Ferretti-*let
> > > the seller prove otherwise.*
> > > George
> > >
> > > George Hollenberg MD
> > > CT, USA
> > > _______________________________________________
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > _______________________________________________
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
> --
> George
>
> George Hollenberg MD
> CT, USA